Aspern Smart City Research (ASCR) located in a former 2,4 Millions m² airport area near Vienna is transfoming Aspern into a future “Smart Eco-City” with 20,000 residents and 20,000 new jobs. With 38M Euro investment, ASCR is a joint venture between the network operator Wiener Netze, the power producer Wien Energy, the technology company Siemens and Smart City Vienna. This partnership was established to develop smart and green solutions for the future energy environment in this new real-life urban Aspern area with active prosumers. This innovative approach uses Smart building automation systems, the renewable energy flexibilities of buildings and the demand response energy market to enable residents to cooperate and accept the Smarter Grid. All these solutions are based on comprehensive Smart ICT, testing and developing convenient big data models and suitable analytics for these new Smart Users.
The ASCR visit show-cased the 4 pillars of this projects:
- Smart Grid: 12 MV-LV substations, 24 transformers and many sensors constitute the basic infrastructure of the Smart Grid Testbed. ASCR is exploring how to turn a traditional network into an intelligent Smart Grid network.
- Smart Building: A residential building, a student home and a school campus constitute the smart building research objects of ASCR. Equipped with PV panels, solar thermal panels, hybrid panels, heat pumps and various thermal as well as electrical storage facilities, the buildings of tomorrow make consumers prosumers.
- Smart ICT: Complex ICT systems facilitate the optimal management of the production, distribution, consumption, storage and transmission of energy. Smart ICT uses all of the data obtained from the buildings and the network (temperature, room air quality, electricity consumption, voltage, etc.) and external data to analyse the interaction and the interdependencies between the network and the buildings.
- Smart User: Users represent an important part of the research activities because it ultimately depends on them how much energy the building requires and to what extent it can offer flexibilities to the Smart Prosumer.
Since 2014 SIG, the local Swiss utility, offers Vitale Green electricity: 100% green and 100% local renewable energy for Geneva. It is a 100% environmentally friendly composed of solar and hydro power, certified “naturemade” star, the most demanding Swiss label in terms of environmental protection. It is a 100% locally produced with more than 600 solar installations in the city and the three Hydro dams of Seujet, Vessy, and now Chancy-Pougny. The latter having obtained the certification “naturemade” star at end of 2014, thanks to major work renovations that meet strict environmental regulations, Geneva’s Vitale Green Electricity became 100% locally produced.
For each kWh purchased, a penny goes to a green electricity fund who finances measures to improve the environment in Geneva and up to 500K CHF is added to the SIG corporate fund to support technology innovation in renewable energy.
Today’s SIG Open Day at Seujet Hydro Dam show-cased a wide range of projects:
- Guided tour of the Seujet Hyro dam
- Solar cooking (chocolate fondue) and tasting of local products
- Associations and Start-ups in the fields of preservation of the environment and innovation in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Awareness of the fauna and flora in the city and an electrical motor boat demonstration project
Source: SIG Vital Green Day