As part of the blueprint for Malaysia’s direction from 2021 till 2030, the Ministry for Housing and Local Government released the Malaysia Smart Cities Framework to make Malaysia a new Asian Tiger. The vision are Smart Cities integrated with sustainable technologies in the cities services such as 5G connectivity, cashless community, autonomous public transport, drone delivery, energy-efficient buildings, smart treatment of water and waste management.
The thorough Smart City Framework articulates seven key components:
- Smart Economy. This entails a highly productive and innovative economy that will attract investment.
- Smart Living. This is about urban safety and security. As well as high quality of healthcare services.
- Smart Environment. This involves high quality housing, environmental protection, sustainable resource management and disaster readiness.
- Smart People. This is about low carbon sites and green lifestyles. It also includes talented human capital with high digital literacy and skillsets, and communities with good moral values.
- Smart Government. This entails a government that is gender-friendly and responsive to vulnerable groups. It also is about open data and quality e-government services.
- Smart Mobility. This involves inter-governmental data sharing, seamless and efficient connectivity, as well as integrated, safe and reliable roads and public transport
- Smart Digital Infrastructure. This covers flexible and affordable modes of transport, comprehensive network coverage, widespread adoption of high-speed internet, and enhanced cybersecurity measures.
Five cities have been chosen as pilot project areas, namely Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru (Iskandar), Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, and Kulim. Iskandar took the first step towards becoming a smart city and launched its own smart city framework called Smart City Iskandar Malaysia. Since the Smart City Iskandar Malaysia framework was endorsed, several projects have been completed such as the Iskandar Malaysia Non-Motorised Transport, Iskandar Malaysia Healthcare Integrated Hub, and state-driven wireless initiative in Iskandar Malaysia.
The startups ecosystem is growing therefore congrats to our Top30 SmartUps: ADA iflix Kaodim StoreHub iprice groupAERODYNE GROUP dahmakan SOCAR Malaysia Carsome iMoney Group Supahands Jirnexu Naluri Asian Entrepreneur ServisHero Flower Chimp Moovby Soft Space PolicyStreet PurelyB Sdn Bhd Dropee Epost BloomThis BookDoc KATSANA Holdings Stampede Solution – VOLARE® CloudHAX Sentuh – Wellness on Demand HAUZ As-Sidq bonus Saleduck